Tummy Tuck Scars: What To Expect
Many patients come to Southlake Plastic Surgery for a tummy tuck consultation and have many questions about managing the scars left behind by the procedure.
Whether you are seeking a tummy tuck to get your pre-baby shape back or to remove excess skin after significant weight loss, it is important to know what to expect with your tummy tuck scars.
Learn more about plastic surgery for moms→
The experts at Southlake Plastic Surgery have put together a tummy tuck scars guide to help answer your questions.
What do tummy tuck scars look like?
Scar size and location largely depends on the type of tummy tuck you need. A traditional tummy tuck scar will go from hip to hip with another scar around your belly button.
Some tummy tuck patients do not have as much excess skin to remove, and the surgery only leaves behind a C-section sized scar below the belly button. Patients with significant excess skin can expect a larger, upside-down T-shaped scar across their abdomen.
At-home steps before & after your surgery to minimize tummy tuck scars
What you do before and after your surgery can impact the severity of your tummy tuck scars. Follow these steps (and all care instructions from your surgeon) to minimize your tummy tuck scars:
- Study all potential providers’ before and after results and choose a surgeon whose work reflects the results you’re after
- Bring underwear or bikini bottoms to your surgical planning appointment to establish where the scar will be in relation to your panty line
- Avoid smoking for at least 6 weeks prior to surgery
- Continue to avoid smoking for at least 6 more weeks
- Follow your surgeon’s wound hygiene and care instructions carefully
- Avoid activities that stretch, bend, or put pressure on the incisions
- Do not lift heavy items or perform strenuous activity for 4 to 6 weeks
- Stay hydrated and follow a healthy diet
- Apply pure Vitamin E oil and a silicone gel or cream on the scar(s) once a day (after the incision is no longer scabbed)
- Protect your scar from UV exposure religiously (with clothing rather than sunscreen). Scars are made of brand new skin and will darken and thicken when exposed to the sun.
Tummy tuck scar treatments in Southlake from Southlake Plastic Surgery
If you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your tummy tuck scars after caring for the incisions at home, come talk to the team at Southlake Plastic Surgery! The medspa side of our practice offers several options for tummy tuck scar treatments.
Medical microneedling involves using an advanced device with numerous tiny needles to “stamp” the skin. The needles create micro-wounds in the scar, jumpstarting the body’s natural healing response and stimulating collagen production, resulting in a more even skin tone and texture.
The depth of your microneedling treatment is completely customized to you, depending on the severity and size of your tummy tuck scars.
Using a focused beam of light, like those emitted by our Halo™ Laser and ProFractional Laser, we can gently remove the outer layer of damaged skin cells. This smooths the skin’s surface and allows healthy skin cells that are uniform in tone and texture to flourish.
In about 5 to 10 days following a laser resurfacing treatment, tummy tucks scars should be better in appearance, with results continuing to improve. Additional treatments can be performed to maximize results.
Lasers aren’t the only light treatment that can be beneficial for tummy tuck scars. Using the power of broadband light (BBL) therapy, we can specifically target the irregular skin cells that comprise your scar. After a series of BBL treatments, we can reduce redness and dark pigmentation in the scar, as well as flatten the scar to make it less noticeable.
Minimize your tummy tuck scars with the help of the experts at Southlake Plastic Surgery
Scars are an inevitable byproduct of any surgery. Many patients love their new body after a tummy tuck but worry about the appearance of their tummy tuck scars.
To learn how to minimize the appearance of your tummy tuck scars (both short-term and long-term), come talk to the experienced Southlake Plastic Surgery & Medspa team. We are happy to be part of every step of your plastic surgery journey.
Use our instant online consultation to tell us about your concerns or contact us today to schedule your consultation.